Saturday, 16 July 2016

I don't want children and that's okay

Since I was about 10 years old (or maybe even younger) I've known that I don't want children, I didn't know it then but this would be the beginning of years of being told I was making the wrong decision or I would change my mind. This wasn't just a decision I'd woken up and made one morning, even though I was only 10 I had spent a lot of time thinking things through.

I have a genetic condition, Marfan Syndrome, and my Mum who also has it has always been very open with me about what it means for me, especially when it comes to having children. If I was with someone who doesn't have a condition the odds of passing it on would be 50/50, however I am now with someone with also has the condition. This means that there is a 50% chance we would pass it on, a 25% chance we wouldn't and a 25% chance that the baby would not even survive, not the best odds! Even with just the 50/50 odds when I was younger this was enough for me to make the decision to not have children. Marfan is not a nice condition and I don't want to pass it on, also after all my own health problems I'm not sure pregnancy would even be a wise thing to put myself through. I just want to say as well if you have a genetic condition and choose to have children then I am not putting you down or judging you, this is totally a personal thing and I would never hate my Mum for choosing to have children and therefore passing the condition on to me. I see people time and time again in online support groups arguing over this topic but when it comes down to it it's the individual's decision and only really their doctor can advise them or tell them what would be a good or bad decision.

I hope people would agree that this is a decision that I haven't made lightly and I think it is quite a wise decision, well like I said I can hope. Unfortunately thanks to societies idea that all women must have children because that's what we are on this earth to do I've come across some pretty ignorant people, including close family. I've been told countless times that I will change my mind because it is such a foreign idea to people that a woman would not want children, plus add in my age when I made this decision, people thought it was a phase. I'd like to say this changed when I turned 18 but sadly not, people still tell me I'll change my mind and I've even had people tell me I'll live my life alone if I don't want children as no man would ever want me, delightful! Even when people do seem to understand as my decision is mainly medical they try and offer me 'solutions' such as having IVF gene selection where specialists check the genes of an embryo before implantation so someone can pick an embryo that does not have the genetic condition. This is never something I've personally felt comfortable with though and I wonder why people cannot just listen to me and accept my decision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is totally okay to decide that you don't want children, even if like me you make that decision quite young. Also though you're allowed to change your mind because funnily enough your body is your body and therefore it is only your decision about what you do with it. For me the decision is mainly a medical one but also I've never felt maternal in anyway which again is a difficult thing for some people (mainly men in my personal experience) to get their head round. I am no less of a woman just because I choose not to have children and hopefully one day more people will understand this.

I'm not sure what the aim of this post is really, I just wanted to talk a little about this as it's something that has come up in the media recently. I've wanted to talk about it for a while and I guess just let people know that whatever decision they make about having children is okay!

Thursday, 14 July 2016

KIKO Milano Eyeshadows Review | High Quality, Low Price

Last year for my birthday me and my sister headed to Brighton to celebrate by soaking up the sun and doing a bit of shopping. That was my first time in Brighton so I had no idea that they had a KIKO shop until I saw it and as soon as it caught my eye I headed straight inside. I've heard things about the brand here and there for a while now, mostly about how high quality they are despite the low prices so I wanted to try something from them but I wasn't sure what. I think I must have ended up being pretty overwhelmed by all the choice and colours because in the end I only came away with 2 eyeshadows and a nail polish! I've had these photos on my netbook for months now ready and waiting to do a review post but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it until now! I thought a review of two simple eyeshadows might be a bit boring but I think they are worth talking about in a short post!

KIKO Milano eyeshadows review

KIKO Milano eyeshadows review

I picked up one of the standard eyeshadow's in the shade 139 Pearly Salmon and one of the Infinity Eyeshadow's that can fit into a palette in the shade 220 Mat Rose Petal (they are in that order in the photos). When I first bought these I thought I'd gotten shades that were too similar but after using them now for months I know for sure they are definitely different. Pearly Salmon has more a dense shimmer to it and has orange and peachy undertones whilst Mat Rose Petal has a much softer shimmer and colour, it's more of a pale pink with some gold undertones.

KIKO Milano eyeshadows review

KIKO Milano eyeshadows review

KIKO Milano eyeshadows review

Both eyeshadows definitely don't disappoint when it comes to pigmentation though, even the lighter shade. They both have a very velvety texture meaning they are easy to blend as well, I find that Pearly Salmon can sometimes be a little messy but I do my eye makeup before my concealer anyway so this isn't a major problem for me. They usually both last most of the day, with the first eyeshadow lasting maybe a little longer. According to the website the Infinity Eyeshadows can be used wet or dry but I haven't as of yet tested out how it performs when you use it wet so maybe that's something to try in the future! I'm definitely tempted to pick up more of those eyeshadows though as you can get a holder for them and then click them all together to make your own custom palette!

You can buy both of these eyshadows for only a few pounds each on either the KIKO website or in one of their stores, at that price you really cannot go wrong! I'm looking forward to trying more of their products so if you have any recommendations then let me know in the comments below!

Monday, 11 July 2016

Seventeen Skin WOW! Concealer | Review

Seventeen is a brand that I've always to seemed to have dipped in and out of over the years, I go through phases where I'll buy a few products from them and love them but then they just seem to get lost in my makeup collection. This was until recently anyway, I'd say that over the past 6 months I've really grown to love and stick with the brand after trying out a lot more products, I always stop to have a browse at the stand in Boots and I adore and use their Stay Time Concealer everyday. This meant that when the opportunity came up to try one of their newest concealers I just had to say yes and I've been trying it out for about a month now.

Seventeen Skin Wow Concealer

Seventeen Skin Wow Concealer
The Skin WOW! Concealer (I have the shade Fair) is one of the newer additions to the brand and already impressive line of concealers that they do, if you haven't tried Seventeen before and don't know where to start I'd say head straight to the concealers because they have never failed me. As I said before I love the Stay Time Concealer as it is long wearing and high coverage and I also love how creamy and thick the Phwoarr Paint Concealer is so I was looking forward to seeing how this new highlighting one would perform.

It has a brush like applicator and you click a button at the end to get the product out, usually applicators like that can be a little messy but I haven't found that to be the case with this. It claims to help reduce the appearance of dark circles and brighten the skin under yours eyes, a cheaper alternative to the YSL Touche Eclat it would seem.

Seventeen Skin Wow Concealer

Seventeen Skin Wow Concealer

I use the applicator to apply it to my under eye and cheekbone area and then blend it in using my fingers, I've tried using a fluffy blending brush and a beauty blender too but find using my fingers works best. The swatch above doesn't quite do it justice but it is a very illuminating product, it doesn't have quite as much coverage as the Stay Time concealer but I find that the brightening element to this helps to cover my dark circles just as well as it keeps things looking light and bright. It works really well across my cheekbones as well to just lift things a little whilst making my skin look more even. It's a light product so it doesn't quite last all day, especially as I don't powder over the top as that would dim down how glowy and radiant it is. I often find that using a bit of the Stay Time concealer first and then this over the top helps to keep things in place all day long or you could easily top it up throughout the day.

I have to say once again a Seventeen concealer has impressed me greatly, this is now the 3rd concealer from them that I love so it's safe to say if you are looking for something inexpensive but still high performing then they are the place to go. I used to religiously use the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer but since I've found these ones I haven't touched it in over a year! You can buy this in Boots stores and online for £4.99 and it comes in 2 shades (the only downside really, not a big range of shades!).

What's your favourite highstreet concealer?

This product was sent to me for review consideration but this does not affect my opinion and I am always 100% honest.